Thursday, January 21, 2010

Meet Kari:



Bonjour!

My name is Kari Rivers and I am a senior at Colby College. I grew up in Sterling Heights, MI and I currently live in Somersworth, NH. During high school, I was most interested in math and science. I didn’t truly become interested in French until after I went to France between my sophomore and junior years with my French teacher and a group of other students. I also took up learning Spanish while in high school.

When I got to Colby, I knew I wanted to major in French and Spanish and have been taking classes in both ever since. I didn’t decide to add an education minor until sophomore year. I volunteered in a 3rd grade class in Waterville and I loved it! I then studied abroad in Madrid and Paris my junior year where I was able to better my French and Spanish by living with host families and to get a better understanding of French and Spanish culture. I got my first taste of volunteering in a bilingual school while in Madrid where I helped out the English teacher in 1st, 3rd and 5th grade classrooms.

As an education minor at Colby we are required to do a practicum for 120 hours. I discovered L’École Française Du Maine by accident while surfing the internet one day and thought it would be a great way for me to combine my love of French and working with kids. And here I am.

I am most interested in seeing how the students learn French from the time they are young and how the French and American educational systems are similar and different.

I am currently looking for a position for the coming school year and I am very excited to start my teaching career!

Kari