Monday, November 29, 2010

Getting to know Emilia, our new Chef:



A message from Emilia to the school community:

I grew up in a small town in Vermont and moved to North Carolina where I attended North Carolina State University, earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing in my early years. While raising our triplets and while my husband completed his Masters in Architecture I worked in a neonatal unit at a hospital in North Carolina. When Hal completed his internship and the children were older I decided to follow a dream to become a chef and studied at The Culinary Institute of America where I graduated with my Associate Degree in Culinary Arts. I then started my own successful catering business in North Carolina.
When Hal and I discovered that our youngest was afflicted with Cystic Fibrosis and allergy disorders that brought about Autism I began to study food as a medicine, researching holistic medicine, vitamins, nutrition and herbs to help heal my then three years old son. After receiving my certificate as a Health Counselor with the Institute of Integrative Nutrition I discovered our son's allergies to Gluten and Casein foods and began to focus my skills in those areas to create fun and good tasting foods that he could eat without losing flavor. Our family came to Maine because of Connor and his allergies. In North Carolina he was allergic to so much of the environment that he stayed indoors most of the time and received over twelve shots per month just to do that. However, after allergy panels, Maine was revealed as one of the most allergy friendly environments for Connor and now he lives and plays outdoors on our farm with only one shot per month to aid him with his allergies.
I will continue to cook for the farm stand in the summer but I feel a privilege to have the opportunity to work as a Chef for the students at L'Ecole Française du Maine during the school year. My husband and six children are my primary focus, however the school has become a great joy for me and the children have given me the greatest of appreciation and love.